Read DEOD’s the exclusive Q&A interview with Joseph Sikora who plays the ruthless drug dealer, Tommy on Power Season 4.
- You have done a lot of great theatre as well as TV and film – what do you prefer – theatre, TV or film and why? What led you into acting in the first place? I don’t like any one better than the other. I enjoy aspects of theatre, television, and film. There are definitely aspects to theatre may be because it’s what I did first and the live interaction with the audience that are pretty magical and immediate, but I truly enjoy them all. I wanted to act to express myself and create something out of nothing.
- What is different about playing Tommy versus other characters you’ve played before? What are some challenges about the role and what do you, Joseph, connect with in Tommy’s character? Every character I have ever played is unique. Tommy is no more different than James Barr from Jack Reacher who is no more or less different then GINGER in True Detective. I connect with Tommy’s loyalty, his affection and commitment to family and his desire to this cute little car coming to continuously push for more. And his dedication to his brother.
- You’ve had parts in several other well-known TV shows – CSI: Miami, Prison Break, Criminal Minds, Greys Anatomy to name some – what to date has been your favourite role and why? My favourite role to date is of course Tommy on POWER. Mainly because I get to live with him for so long and find all the nuances.
- In Power, what we really want to know – is Tommy really loyal to Ghost? Without all this would they be friends? Or is it more of a convenient partnership? I think by watching the show it’s pretty obvious that he is of course loyal to GHOST.
- La La Anthony (La Keisha) has said “Any time you’re in some kind of relationship with Tommy, there’s gonna be all kinds of craziness and twists and turns”. Do you think Tommy will ever find love? Is he capable of a relationship? What I attempted to do was show Tommy falling in love for the first time when he met Holly. Now that that love is gone I think it will be a long road for him to truly love someone again. That doesn’t mean he won’t try.
- In season 4, everything seems to be falling apart, every character we love is on edge or about to break, will we get a ‘happy ending’ out of Season 4? True to form Power will always end with a “happy ending” there will be flowers cotton candy and carnival rides. Not to mention Tommy, Kanan, Ghost and Dre forming a barbershop quartet in Southside Jamaica Queens.
- What does the future hold for Tommy? The future is pretty uncertain for Tommy as he begins to lose not only the business, but also his family is falling apart. His whole life is changing and he’s going to have to choose between the life he has always known for the uncertainty of what lies ahead. And as an actor, the future is always uncertain. But what has always worked for me in recent times he’s realizing that the destination is in the journey and always saying yes to whatever the future has for me.
Catch Tommy on Power Season 4, exclusive to DEOD – the only place to watch right now, 24 hours after the US